Current Progress

29/100

Monday, July 5, 2010

Prompt #021 - Friends

Prompt # 021 - Friends

With My Friends
Time Frame: The Last Olympian – Chapter 19: We Trash the Eternal City
Pairing: Annabeth/Percy, friendship Annabeth/Percy/Grover
POV: Percy
A/n: I was going to rewrite this as after Thalia was incapacitated, so it would just be the trio, but I’m too lazy, and I got Percabeth in there, so I’m happy.

**

“I'm glad to be with you... here, at the end of all things.”

-The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (2003)

**

“I won’t go down by myself, but I’ll go down with my friends,”

-I Never Told You What I Do For a Living
By: My Chemical Romance

**

The world is whirling and desperate. My ears have long since given up comprehending each sound it hears—each scream of agony, each clang of swords and armor, each crumbling building. Thalia is with us too, but her presence is not so pronounced to me. It is my trio—me, Annabeth, and Grover that is important to me now.

Annabeth is on my left, Grover is on my right, and together we are making our way towards the center of Olympus.

It started out as us three, from the very beginning.

It only makes sense that at the end of it all, it would be us three together again.

The ground is literally falling out from under our feet as we spring from rock to rock, the stones falling as soon as our weight has shifted off them. The bridge between the gods and mortals is now, literally, disintegrating behind us.

But, then I hear her clear voice ring out behind me.

“Percy!” I dive and snatch her hand, my fingers gripping her forearm. And for a terrifying moment, I felt us tilting, felt Annabeth dragging me over the edge, felt as if we would plummet together to the ground. Her hand, slick with sweat from fighting and adrenaline and fear, began to slip until only our intertwined fingers were connected. And for a moment I could imagine myself, our all too mortal blood painting the streets of my beloved, devastated city.

We’re going to fall, I thought for a dizzying second. I’m going to die without ever kissing her again.

But then, I felt strong hands around my ankles, slowly dragging me up, back onto the solid stone. We lay, gasping, our limbs intertwined, not worrying for a liberating second about apocalypses or complications…simply reveling in the fact that she is here and solid and alive in my arms and silently celebrating the fact that we will live to breathe another breath.

“Um, thanks.” Her voice whispers, breaking me out of my reverie and the gravity of our situation comes crashing down like the stones around us. Grover urges us to keep moving, and we follow, stumbling once again towards the end…of us? of Kronos? The end of something at least.

Finally, after today, it is all going to end.

And here, with my friends, I can think of no better way to end it.

~fin~


No comments:

Post a Comment