Current Progress

29/100

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Prompt #029 - Birth

Prompt #029 – Birth

A Mother’s Love
Time Frame: Just after Zeus’s Birth
Pairing: Vague Kronos/Rhea
POV: Rhea (Kronos’s Wife)

A/n: This one requires some mythology knowledge of how Kronos ate all his kids when they were born because there was a prophecy that one of them would overthrow Kronos. But Rhea gave Kronos a rock and Kronos thought he ate Zeus but Rhea hid Zeus where he grew up and later came back and chopped up Kronos and rescued his siblings that were growing up unharmed (since they’re immortal) in Kronos’s stomach. Ta-da!

**

“A father may turn his back on his child, brothers and sisters may become inveterate enemies, husbands may desert their wives, wives their husbands. But a mother's love endures through all.”

-Washington Irving

**

I am paralyzed with fear.

Not another of my children, not another of my children. It is a mantra in my head.

I clutch my newborn child closer to my chest, turning away from his gaze. I can feel him take a step closer to me. The ground shivers and quakes and I seem to shrink in his presence. I can feel my new son wriggle in my arms, as if he knows something is coming.

“Rhea...” My eyes are squeezed shut, my muscles tense as a bowstring, “Give him to me.” No, no, no, not another of my children.

“It’s just a prophecy…” I whisper. There was no way he could have heard me, but the whispers pour from my lips, regardless. “Please…no….”

All of my other sons and daughters, gone because of what might happen. Not again, not again.

“Rhea,” his voice seems to make the very air around us tremble. Amongst the terror I acknowledge that my baby isn’t crying. Strong, brave little Zeus. He was just born to this world moments ago. Please, no… “Give him here.”

I will not let my husband take away another of my children.

Not again.

My son will grow tall and strong; he will save his siblings. He will become the king he was born to be.

Not another of my children, I think as I stoop to grab a rock, never again.


~fin~


No comments:

Post a Comment